Friday, November 5, 2010

Walking

Monday I went to the hospital for my six week check up and I'm allowed to walk again!!!!!!
Just short distances with cruthes, but it's a big improvement.
The doctors are hoping that the walking will stimulate the bloodflow in my leg which will make a big difference for the bone recovery.
I was suposed to have a cast for 12 weeks, 6 weeks without walking and a walking cast for 6 weeks, but since I need my orthosis to walk I can't have a walking cast, so they had to think of something else.
I got a walker, which is something like a big brace, its suposed to give the same kind of support as a cast.

The walker and my orthosis

Well the walker has some advantages and some disadvantages.

Advantages;
I can take it off and finally wash and shave my leg again, you can't believe how dirty a foot gets in a cast, really disturbing.
Because I can take it off I can do some exercises with my ankle and start regain some muscles early.
And I'm allowed to stop with the fraxiparine injections, blood thinners, that I had to take against thrombosis.


My tummy was getting bruised because of the daily shot's.

doing some ankle exercises

my scar healed pretty nice

But there are some disadvanteges with the walker as well;
The walker is to big so it really doesn't give that much support, my ankle can almost freely move around in it, and that isn't good.
My fractures still need a lot of support to heal properly.
And because of that it hurts, I know my ankle is still hurting, but it got worse, way worse.
It's so bad that I can't sleep and I need to sleep to recover.
When I've the time to sleep in, I usually can sleep after I take my morning painkillers at 6.30 am.
But when I've boring classes I can't do that and I just drink a lot of coffee.
I'm taking the course molleculair and cellulair aspects of disease and it is BORING, so boring I could die with boredom. Not fun and exciting like trauma.
Maybe I should take more painklillers during the night and less during the day, that way I can guarantee I stay awake during class.

Wednesday I did the legpress at my physio for the first time in 8 weeks and I was still able to push 100kg, one legged, with my good leg, that's pretty good, I did 3 times 20.
And I went to Frank Jol, he is an orthotist and builds my orthosis, I'm getting 2 new ones; one for walking and one for skiing! That's great the skiing one will make a big difference in my skiing, now I ski without any knee function (in my right leg), my right knee is completely still. In the new orthosis there will be a gas spring which will work together with the tension in the ski, it's a bit complicated to explain, but there will be some movement in my knee.
Wednesday it was just mold fitting, my walking orthosis will probably be ready in 2 weeks for the skiing orthosis I have to wait a couple of weeks longer, but that's ok I won't be skiing any time soon.


I was going through some old pictures to make a little book for my grandmother who will be 85 soon and I found this really cute picture with my sister, my grandmother and me, when we where kids (well accept for grandma).


This weekend is my dad's birthday so we are going to have diner at a nice restaurant over here and tonight I've diner with my sorority. Physio tomorow, my mom stops by on sunday, it's going to be a busy weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment