Sunday, November 21, 2010

Regaining strength

So I started dryland training again, not just at my physio but also at my gym at home.
The first time I was back at the gym everybody came to me to say hi and asked where I’ve been, they missed me I've never expected that.
It’s great to be back in training and not just take it by the day to see what I can do but back on a real schedule. It’s still a small schedule it takes me a little over an hour to complete it but it’s a real start!
And I feel stronger allready, the pain got better as well over the last few days.





Yesterday I went to Snowworld Zoetermeer to watch the adaptive ski racing talent group train, this group started last season and I started skiing there last season. It’s a very mixed group with kids and adults. Some of those kids made a big improvement over the last couple of months! And there are some new kids skiing very good as well, all the new ones are kids in a mono ski, sit ski. And two boys are doing very well! I lasted for an hour sitting in my wheelchair, after that I just got to cold and needed to go inside to get warm again. I had so many clothes on I was like a wheelchair Eskimo. So I’m winter proof now.
The wheelchair on the other hand certainly isn’t, there just no way to ride it through the snow, I probably need another set of wheels with mountain bike tires for that, but that's to big of an investment so I just hope that there will be no snow until I can walk again.

Since I'm pretty good with breaking stuff lately I broke the leg support of my wheelchair. It's fixed again.



Last Sunday I went with my sister to an ice hockey game to watch her boyfriend play. I thought it would be really cool but they are in the student league and there are a lot of beginners playing so they were not allowed to go to hard on each other. Which made it a lot less cool than I expected, but the sight at some cute boys made it a good night anyway.





To make the sister bonding complete we also went to the movies this week. To Harry Potter and the deathly hollows part one. This movie had some sweet special effects and enough humor. This part of the story on the other hand is a bit dark, but they made a great movie out of it.
I’ve read the book so I know how it’s going to end…

Monday I had a lecture about my last test, the professor explains the questions and the answers in the test. This one was kind of interesting, the prof didn’t seem to see the need for a lecture like this, what about learning from your mistakes? Well he probably never made any or something like that.
There was one question that was answered incorrect by all the students, he told us that that was because we never discussed this subject and we couldn’t have known. Then why ask? Well because he wanted to see if we knew… epic fail. But learning all the answers and remembering my own, I think I might have passed the test. 
All though I had surgery at the beginning of this semester I haven’t missed a test yet, I think this is a big achievement my parents seem to disagree.
After surgery and a multiple day hospital stay I felt like hell and I needed a lot of rest but I made it back to class within two weeks, there are not that many people who can say that. Even my doctor wasn’t sure if I would be able to do that, but I did and not only that I got a 9 in my first test back!

Today I had physio, my physio was very happy with my improvement and the fact that the pain is getting better and so am I. We are building back! Finally. We talked about getting back to snow, but there is no real prognosis to make until I’m out of the cast and we know if the fractures are healed. There still is a chance I will race this season! I can do that because I don’t have that much muscles in my leg so there is no long muscle strength recovery necessary when I’m out of the cast. It will be pretty much functional recovering which includes skiing. If it’s any other person than it wouldn’t be possible, my luck I guess.
The cast countdown is down to 3 weeks and 5 days. And it’s the same as my birthday countdown, losing my cast will be a great birthday present!
After physio I went to visit a friend, Monique, from the cycling team, she had her birthday yesterday.
And she is regaining the function to walk! She had an incomplete paralysis and with a lot of hard work and luck she is walking again, just short distances for now but it’s awesome. Well we had a great afternoon.

And I had diner with my sorority and class this week, busy week. 
Next week international classification and IPCAS race in Snowworld Landgraaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment