Sunday, November 14, 2010

Testing

I'm in the Leiden University Medical school en we have a test every 3 weeks.
The good part is that every 3 weeks you have a weekend completely off and the test covers only 3 weeks of classes so you don't have to study that long for a test.
That's handy when I'm off training and racing.
But the downside is of course that you have to study real hard for 2 or 3 days every 3 weeks.

Me studying
After a long day my head was spinning, for real!

I had a test las friday about molleculair and cellulair aspects of disease, the test was verry difficult and I'm not sure how I did. That's new to me I usually have a pretty good feeling of how I did.


My ankle got casted again last monday so I'm done walking for a while. All though I hate being back in the cast I know it is for the best and the pain got a bit better so that's great.
The fracture in my tibia, the Tillaux fragment wasn't stable yet and because of that the screw that's holding the fracture in place moved a little bit and that's what caused the pain. I could have broken the screw out of the bone if I didn't had my ankle casted again, that's scary.
So I'm chilling big time in my wheelchair again and since I'm able to ride it pretty fast it's not all bad. Walking still is a lot better.
When you live in a historical city like Leiden you might meet some pavement that certainly isn't made for wheelchair users.



This is just down my street so we meet almost every day.... Well it's a challenge, you probably can imagine that it isn't a great feeling in my broken ankle.

I started doing dryland training again, just a slow start but finally I can do something!
I can start dryland again because I don't have to keep my foot up all the time anymore.
So I'm cycling (one legged), doing core stability, exercises for my upper body and some exercises for my left leg, I can't do one legged squats yet  but that won't be long anymore.
Before I just did core, upper body training while sitting in the wheelchair and handcycling.

Here is a youtube link about a boy who uses the same orthosis for snowboarding as I'm going to use for skiing.

I've another link about the IPCAS race with some extra and background information (it's in dutch).







No comments:

Post a Comment