Sunday, October 3, 2010

The road to recovery

Today last year was my first time back on ski's since my leg got screwed up. I wasn't sure I was able to do it, but I thought I can at least try. I was a little bit scared didn't know how my leg would react, but as soon as I started my body just knew what to do, it was amazing. By the second training I was carving again and from that point I got better and better fast. By January I was back in the gates, in June we had a training with the national adaptive skiteam and I was good enough to get invited and train with them over the summer, in the development program. That first day last year was great, I was so happy and excited the rest of the day it was like I was glowing. During my long recovery, learning how to walk with my orthesis and how to use a wheelchair, I never thought I would be able to ski again but secretly I hoped. Everybody thought I was crazy for trying and told me I would never be able to do it, but they told me I would never get out of the wheelchair as well and I made that happen.

this picture is from the clubtraining of my skiclub; snowsports academy racing last july everybody got dressed up for this last training before the holiday. I was a 'skiing doctor'.

I learned how to sitski last december, that was fun.

This recovery is on so many levels different from last, I know I will get back on my ski's, the question is when and not will. I'm sure it will get better and I will be fine but it still is frustrating, I was really looking forward to start the races again and to go on training camps with the team. 
At first I felt weak because I got an injury during the summer training, now I know I'm not weak I had some serious fractures and walked and skied with that for two weeks before I asked for help, that's not weak that's tough and stupid. And because I did that my ankle was in bad shape before surgery.

When I got home from the hospital I was pretty helpless and because I live by myself I had to do everything on my own. That was hard the first day or two, but last weekend I got the hang of it and I was fine, it was a good weekend and I didn't had to much pain, I felt I started my road to recovery.
Sunday night the pain started I was in so much pain I wasn't able to sleep, monday afternoon the hospital called and asked how I was doing, I told that I had a good weekend but that the pain got worse last night. The lady asked me if I had a fever, I said I didn't know but that I would check that, she asked me to call back if I had a fever. I checked and yes indeed I was running a fever, so I called and got a doctor on the phone he told me I had to come to the ER and so I did. It was 4 pm when I left home and offcourse there was a traffic jam. 
In the ER they checked my blood for an infection and they cut my cast off to see if my wound was infected, there was no sign of an infection, I got a new cast and was allowed to go home but I had to come back the next day. Offcourse there was a traffic jam on my way home. Well tuesday was pretty much the same storry, no sign of an infection but still a fever and a lot of pain so I had to come back friday.

Wednesday morning I had a big test, all med students have to take this test 4 times every year. This test has 200 multiple choice questions, the first year students get the same test as the sixth year students but every time  you have to get a higher score to pass. I wasn't sure how I would do on the test, I use to get pretty high scores but with all the pain medication and the recent narcosis, concentration is a bit of a problem. But I guess I did fine, probably good enough to pass but no high score.
In the afternoon I had physio, I was pretty excited about starting physio because it feels like really starting the recovery, starting to do something. I'm not allowed to do anything with my leg for six weeks so we did some core stability, just getting fit again will probably make me feel a lot better. Getting surgery is such an energy drain.
Friday it was time to go to the AMC again, new cast again and they removed the stitches. When they where puting my new cast on they accidentely dropped my foot and since I've no muscles to hold it up or compensate it fell pretty hard and hit the table-bed, well that hurted big time, and I allready was in pain. I had blisters on my foot because of all the fluid from the swelling, but they are getting better. I Still had a fever and they told me that I have a fever because my body is working hard to recover.
Friday night I had my cousins house warming party, it was a fun party but I was tired and in pain so I wasn't able to enjoy it and left quick, I guess it was to soon. 
with my cousin Saskia


My ankle is still verry painfull and I still have a fever so I'm just taking it easy I have to keep my foot up with a lot of pillows, a pillow mountain ;-)

The everyday chores around the house are getting easy again everything accept for the dishes and cleaning but       that's ok. Next week I'm going back to school we are starting the course trauma, that should be fun and a lot about fractures. Next friday I have to go to the AMC again and I've physio next week.
The road to recovery is one with ups and downs, I have faith it will get better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment