Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wiggling my toes

A little over a week ago I was finaly able to wiggle my toes again, it looks like a small acomplishment but it was a big deal for me. Since my leg is in a cast and the rest of the leg is paralyzed (I can't move it but I've normal feeling) due to muscle weakness that's about the only part I can move. I should have been able to wiggle my toes a lot earlyer, day(s) after surgery but due to the immense swelling that wasn't possible, so it was a good sign that the swelling is finaly going down. Well this says it all, I'm behind on recovery schedule and there's nothing I can do about it, accept for maybe taking more rest, it sucks!
The team leaves for Pitztal (Austria) this thursday and I was suposed to go with them, but now I'm staying home and I know there will be other camps but I really wanted to go.


My sister and some other students spend a year working and planning for a big symposium it's called the 'veerstichting' symposium and it took place thursday and friday october 7 and 8. They did a good job it was a great symposium, 250 students meeting 250 working people, and some great keynote speakers. I guess these type of things are more for law students or political sience students then for medical students, at time I felt a bit dumb especially with the topic capitalism. But these where a great two days and I learned a lot.
That week was my first week back in school since my surgery, so I was really tired that weekend but glad I was back on track.


Friday october 8 I had an appointment in the hospital again. They took some X-rays and I got a new cast. The doctor was happy that I was able to wiggle my toes again, finally, he said that, that was taking a bit long. The X-rays showed that the bones are still good in place, he said;  'ok everything is in place now they have to start to grow back together', that's taking a bit longer as well.
Because of the muscle weakness the blood circulation in my leg is not good, that slows the process. And besides that the fracture's where a bit damaged because I walked on them for two weeks.
The next appointment is in 2 weeks (november 1) and I hope to have some better news by then.


That night I had a theme party with my sorority, so we dressed up like big slut's and had a lot of fun.
The theme was 'oh oh Cherso' that's a populair tv show over here, a lot like Jersey Shore.
Some of the girls where dressed up as the men from the show especially as 'sterretje'




Last week was a busy week in school and with physio, working hard on my recovery and trying to get fit again. Yesterday night I had a housewarming party at my friend Jet's place in the Hague, it was a great party but sitting in a wheelchair with my leg up and people walking in to my leg is a bit of a party mood killer.
Next friday I've the exam from the course trauma so I've to do a lot of studying this week and physio offcourse.





No comments:

Post a Comment