Friday, September 24, 2010

Surgery and the hospital

Sunday we had a wintersports fun day for disabled kids in snowworld Zoetermeer. I didn't had to go because I'm injured and all but I thought it would be fun to see everyone and a good way to get my mind off of surgery.
It was a great day I saw a lot of happy smiling kids and I had a lot of fun with my friends from the skiteam.
We put some stickers of the dutch ski federation on my cast, we called them "with thanks to..." stickers and agreed I would leave them on for the surgeon.

Monday morning I had to be in the hospital at 6.30am. They gave me a bed and a charming hospital shirt, thing. They brought me to the operating room, I had some fun with the anesthesist, he helped me relax a bit or his drugs did, probably both. He put the iv in and the next thing I knew I was waking up again.
I hate waking up from surgery it hurts and I had trouble breathing, they gave me a bunch of pain killers in the iv and some extra oxygen after 2 hours I was ready to go back to the orthopedic ward.
The first day was kind of a blur I slept a lot and I had a morphine pump with a button I could press when ever I was in pain.
In my own pyjamas and with the big white cast
the morphine and other medicine
the 'magic' button

The next day I felt a little bit better my ankle was still verry painfull but the morphine worked and I felt I was less druged than the day before.
Tuesday it was time for some control X-rays and a new cast. The cast I got after surgery was to heavy I wasn't able to move around in  my bed I had to call for the nurses when ever I felt my leg was in the wrong position.
When I got back from the X-rays Robbert ten Brink (he is famous in the Netherlands) was in the ellevator and he had to leave for me, haha, because there's a rule that everybody has to clear the ellevator for a patient with a bed.
my X-ray, check al the metal
Getting my cast off
the scar it aint pretty

I got a new pink cast but that one was to tight so the nurses had to cut it open at night.
facebook! got to update my status

The next day, wednesday, I was suposed to go home. But I needed a new cast, I wasnt alowed to get out of bed without a proper cast, I hadn't left my bed since surgery!
In the afternoon I got a new cast but getting the old one off hurted big time and I was forced to press the morphine button a lot! That said I couldn't go home, because of the pain and the swelling, that is a big problem as well.
My sister came that night and I was alowed to get out of bed and in the wheelchair for a while. I spotted another famous dutch person in the ellevator Bram Moscovitich.
This hospital is full of surprises.

Thursday morning they took de iv out and morphine pump away and I was ready to go home. I had to wait for a couple of hours to see if the pain was manageble. I had to walk with the physio and I failed but that's no big deal I will use the wheelchair.
 motivating art in the front of my room isn't it amazing.

And in the afternoon I finaly got to go home! My first hours home alone where a bit of a strugle my leg got more swollen and I was in pain whenever I tried to do something. The doctor called and at first he wanted me to come to the ER because he thought my cast was again to tight but we decided I would go in today if it got worse. Laying in bed and on the couch is fine but getting my self some food or taking a shower is a big task. I hope it will get better in the next couple of days.





4 comments:

  1. Keep up with the blogging Annika! Stay positive and never give up!
    Here's my favourite quote:
    "A positive attitude won't solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the while" Herm Albright

    So stay positive, and keep living with a smile on your face. I look forward to more updates! All the best
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I'm now in the same situation like you were...
    I also broke my ankle because I had an Ski accident...
    Do you have any tips for me?
    Do you have an e-mail Adress? So maybe you can help me a little bit? :)

    Lovely
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm, mooi gipsvoetje en je hebt mooie teentjes xxxxx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.
    Hospital Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete