Tuesday, September 14, 2010

IKEA back to school and a broken ankle

Last weekend I helped my brother move to his new room, he lives in Leiden now, just like me and our sister.
His house is just 20 metres from my house, that's great I see him a lot more often now.
Saterday we went to the IKEA and bought a lot of stuff, I wasn't sure how to get everything in my car but we managed.

my brother and sister packing the car.

Just when we thought that it worked I found out the car didn't start! which was ridiculous because I just drove it to the pick up zone.
Well we called for help and as it turned out the dynamo was broken, luckely they where able to fix it right away and we could go home with all the stuff.
On sunday we finished the room and it turned out great!



On monday it was time to get back to school, we had 4 lectures and one lecture with a patiƫnt, I like those a lot. In the afternoon it was time for anatomy practicalwork, in the skills lab, always funny to joke "I'm like the sixt sense I see death people". Working in the skillslab is great because it makes you feel like a real doctor in your lab coat "10 blade please", verry Grey's Anatomy, haha.
We are doing a course about the basics of orthopedics so we are watching a lot of muscles, joints and ligaments in the skillslab.
Today I had 2 lectures pharmacology and those where borring.

And in the afternoon I had the MRI scan.

Ankle update
My ankle is still pretty painfull and my walking is getting worse, real slow, I always walk slow, about half of the regular walking speed but now it's more like 25% of the regular walking speed.
I think she just passed me
Since I was walking so slow my brother and sister forced me to use a IKEA wheelchair in the IKEA, the thing was like a Hummer and I wasn't able to look around as much as I would have wanted, but it probably was for the best.
Today was my MRI scan. First I had to get undressed but when I told them I couldn't walk without my orthesis they didn't know what to do, I think they where surprised anyways they got a stretcher that could go near the MRI machine. "so we are going to scan your left ankle" "no it's my right ankle that's the one that hurts, I would know" they called for the radiologist that arranged for this scan. He told me that I had to have an MRI an ultra sound and a regular X-ray. After I was done with the MRI I was told I didn't need an ultra sound anymore but a CAT scan instead. The doctor told me that I didn't need the ultra sound because he saw the problem in the MRI, I have a BROKEN ankle! I felt like I got hit by a train, how is that even possible I've walked on it for 2 weeks, I've even skied on it in mulptiple occasions. There are 2 fractures one is a good one which will heal on it's own, but the other one is more of a problem, the fracture line goes through the joint.
I got an X-ray and the CAT scan an will learn more on thursday when I go to the orthopedic surgeon in the AMC (hospital of the uninversity of Amsterdam).
After they found out my ankle was broken I wasn't allowed to walk anymore, so they had to push me in the hospital wheelchair to my car. "Are you able to drive" they asked me and that's the good part since it is my bad leg I can still drive, because I drive with my left leg in a adapted car.
I feel a bit down now, I'm scared for the possibility of surgery since my last orthopedic surgery wasn't a succes, I know it's all verry rare but it happend! 1 in a million became 1 out of 1 for me, so I've the right to be scared!
But after all I will get my self together and let the awesomeness rule my life again!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.
    Hospital Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete