Friday, September 3, 2010

taking some rest and filling out paperwork

Since I have a small injury I decided to take a couple of days off of training in the gym, a couple of days of rest and recovery.
I hurt my ankle tuesday and with that injury I trained slalom wednesday, it wasn't to painfull, skiing was actually fine but getting off the chairlift did hurt badly. A long story short although I was able to train I wasn't at my best. I think I might have pushed my self to hard over the past weeks and that's maybe one of the reasons I'm a bit injured now.
I spend the last two and a half days back to back icing my ankle, it is still swollen, bruised and sore but everything is slowly getting better, I'm still walking on it allthough it is painfull it's the best way to keep the blood in my leg flowing since most of the muscles in my right leg don't work normaly, with the better circulation it will recover faster.
So I'm not going to the gym for a couple of days but I'm not going to chill all day I'm going to spend more time on  the bike  (low intensity cycling as recovery training) and that's just great timing!
Because my new bike arrived yesterday! and it is awsome!

Last week I had to fill out the paperwork for my IPC (international paralympic committee) ski racing licence.
And it had some funny questions...

the form started out the way you should expect.
  1. type of disability: well that's obvious seeing this picture, probably something with the right leg. I ended up with this answer: muscle weakness in one leg due to ischemia.














2. city of birth: den Haag or the Hague in English
3. date of birth: december, 16, 1985
4. state/prov./territory of birth: South Holland
5. country of birth: the Netherlands


and more regular questions like that. After those questions came some interesting questions considering the purpose of the form. Maybe they want to make a database with some background information of the athletes.

1. Education: university, medical school
2. Occupation: student
3. Languages: Duth and English and tiny bits of French and German
4. preferred events and styles: maybe the speed events  but I'm not totaly sure how my leg is going to handle the g forces. This is the answer I gave: I like all events, probably GS best.
5. Debut: that's a hard question, which one?
first time on ski's when I was 2 years old

















First 'race' when I was about 4 years old












And one of my last races before my leg got screwed up, the dutch nationals in 2005.












or maybe the first time I got back on my ski's? in october 2009













They probably want to know when my debut in adaptive skiracing will be: the 2010-2011 season.


6. nickname: don't have one
7. Hobbies: Hanging out with friends and shopping
8. Sporting achievements: hoping to get some this season
9. The most influential person: another hard question, probably my parents and in skiing defenitely my dad
10. Who is your hero/idol: I went for Lindsey Vonn But Canadian Lauran Woolstencroft is quite amazing as well, maybe even more, winning all 5 events in the last paralympic games in Whistler and missing two lower legs and one arm! She is retired now.
11. Opponent/Rival: Don't know jet
12. Most humorous sporting episode: Well what to choose and there only was one line to writ it down; my brother uses his helmet to protect his backpack. When he goes boarding he takes his helmet with him, but never puts it on his head.
13. sporting philosophy or motto: There are a lot of things I say and use for my self like, 'most limits are in your mind' and 'you want this so fight for it' but the best is classic what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
14. Major awards this year: starting to ski again and making such quick progress that I'm invited to train with the national adaptive skiteam.
15. other sports: cycling, I'm actually in the development team for paracycling as well I ride a regular bike and use just my left leg.
16. Ambition: for this one I used way more than just the one line, Be the best racer I can be, always trying my best, competing in the paralympic games and hoping for a medal one day but don't know jet if the last part is achievable, I'm dreaming about it!


That was the form I'm verry curious what they are going to do with all the information!

my ankle today the bruises look worse but that's just a phase before they get better.





No comments:

Post a Comment