Monday, December 20, 2010

Step by step

I bounce back pretty quickly while my recovery seems to be slow at first. I did that after I got my disability, although I didn’t know that at the time, it took a while before I knew what the problem with my leg was. So looking back I bounced back!
And it happened again! After 13 weeks in a cast and no walking (except for a couple of days with the boot but that was hard and hardly possible so it doesn’t count) I was allowed to walk again last Thursday and you would think it might took a couple of days before I got the hang of it. It didn’t I was able to walk without crutches the same night! Yes I bounced back quick. And my walking is getting better step by step! In my house I walk without crutches and outside with crutches because it’s easier with longer distances and it’s safer with all the snow.


Because there is a lot, again.



I went to the physio today and she was very happy with my progress over the weekend. We did some balance exercises for my leg and I got better in the 10 times I tried a specific exercise. After that my walking was better as well. I’m very happy with my recovery right now, finally I can do something, with the cast it was just waiting.
I did some balance exercises at home the wii with the balance board is a great tool and makes it fun. Although it is not very encouraging because he keeps saying me my balance is bad, but I got ‘amateur’ today an improvement. After the exercises I iced my ankle to help the swelling go down.
And I went for my final fitting of my new orthosis today, it’s a good one! With my old one it feels like my leg is hanging in the orthosis sometimes and this one supports my leg. Gives me more balance while standing (on one leg) and walking. One little problem was my ‘cankle’, it was swollen too much to fit properly in the orthosis. So I got a compression stocking to help the swelling go down, I feel like a granny now, but if it helps I’m glad. Next week I get my new orthosis and they are going to do some fitting for my ski orthosis next week as well.

Had a lot of fun celebrating my birthday with my friends Friday.






No comments:

Post a Comment