Saturday, May 28, 2011

Training weekend Landgraaf

Last weekend I went to Snowworld Landgraaf with 2 ski friends, Stephanie and Ingrid, for a training weekend and the champs of our ski club Snowsports Academy Racing (SAR). Packing the car took some serious ‘Tetris’ skills but in the end we got everything in.


We arrived at Landgraaf after a little over 2 hours at 8.10 am. I had training with the talent group from 9-11 and my friends were allowed to train with us. I had a few good runs and a few not so good runs but all in all I’m clearly on my way back from injury and improving each week.


After training we had some time to chill, which was necessary since we got up at 5 am.



Next training was that night from 7-9 pm with the ski club, well that training I mostly had not so good runs, I was pretty tired and my leg was hurting so I took it easy. After training we prepped our ski’s, taking the SAR champs very seriously ;)


Everybody was  arriving for the race the next day and we had a few drinks before we went off to bed, 4 girls in one room made it crowded but gave a lot of fun as well.





Next day was the race day, this race is mostly about the fun and yeah we had a lot of fun! All though Stephanie took it very seriously making her ski’s extra fast for the start ;-)



Our group cinsisted of 7 girls and I got a 5th place, being the only adapted ski racer in the group made this a good result for me.




Thanks girls it was a great weekend and I enjoyed myself.


Back at home it was back to business I have been pretty busy lately, I even have to schedule sleeping in my agenda. But it all worked out and I hope the next couple of weeks will be a little calmer.

I also had some medical appointments lately.
I went to the surgeon that fixed up my ankle for my six month check up, timing wise it was a 8 month check up. Well he was glad with the end result, the ankle is doing good, but the joint is still a bit stiff I can’t move forward further then 90 degrees in the ankle. So I will get a special heel in my ski boot to compensate the ankle a bit. And I still need another surgery to remove the metal screws and plate because it’s all a bit irritated, luckily I can do it after next ski season. Just have to tough it out the next 10 months, I’m pretty good with that. 
I have had Asthma since I was a little girl, not a big deal, I always just took the meds and the extra meds if necessary, my last real lung check up was still at the pediatrician….. So yeah that’s a while ago…. It was time to get it checked out again also because my meds are on the doping list. Last Thursday I had an appointment for a lung check up.  
I had to take a bronchial challenge test and I surely can say that test is very challenging.
You first have to get off your meds for 2 days, which is a challenge alone. During the test you have to inhale increasing doses of an irritating substance, you take a lung function test between each dose. The test is positive if the lung function decreases 20% at 13 mg of the substance. Well saying mine was positive is probably an understatement.
My lung function had decreased over 40% at 4,9 mg of the substance and probably even more since it took several minutes before I was even able to do the lung function test.
To reverse the effect I had to take twice as many meds as regular for this test and still my lung function was just 87%. Not a surprise the doc told me I was severely under treated, now I have to take 4 times as many Asthma meds. I get another check up in 2 weeks. My lungs are still a bit bothered by the bronchial challenge test, I’m coughing a lot (more than normal) and I’m still a little short of breath. I even get out of breath when I’m talking a lot, although some people might think that’s a relieve ;-)

My bike is back from the shop and the new adjustment works great. I went for a short ride this morning since I’m not actually fit. Funny to see everybody twist their neck when they realize that I’m cycling with just one leg.



Last Wednesday I had a power test but because I was off my meds I probably could have done better. I will get another one in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment