Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Teddy Bear Hospital and Ringvaart Regatta

Today I was a surgeon at the Teddy Bear Hospital. This is a project for young children to help them get used to doctors (and for young doctors to get used to children). So the children won’t be that afraid if they get sick. The children bring their favorite stuffed animal which is ‘sick’ and we treat it together with the child.
They go to a radiologist for x-rays, to a surgeon, they can get a cast and go to a pharmacist it’s all very real. Today I was a surgeon so I got to wear scrubs, the best outfit of all the bear doctors. When a child came to me I first gave it a hat, a mask and gloves. After that we put the patient under anesthesia and usually just wrap dressing on it and give a shot (the children loved that part), if a stuffed animal actually had a hole I put stitches in it.
This was a great afternoon so fun to work with the children, they were so sweet!








Ringvaart Regatta, 100km rowing
I think rowing 100 km is insane… Although I have to admit that if my leg hadn’t happen I would have thought about trying. Not that I think I can’t do it now, it’s just not as simple (practically speaking don't think it's simple at all) anymore I would need adjustments and that’s not something you do for one ‘race’. I think it’s like running a marathon, I never was a good runner so I never would have tried, but I always thought how cool would it be to finish a marathon?! That’s what this race is about for most competitors, just finish, 100 km is a big victory, there are always some teams aiming for the record as well.
My sister and 3 other girls from her house (+1 one girl navigating the boat) went for it this year. Two girls including my sister trained there buts off, the other two had some aches, pains and injuries. This morning there were some problems at the start which led for them to have to start 40 minutes late in a field of boats with 8 people instead of boats with 4 people.
Right from the start they didn’t had any company rowing at the same pace, eights are much faster.
To stay in the race you have to reach a couple of points in time and after 75 km they got disqualified on just a couple of minutes (since they already lost 40 at the start this wasn’t fair).
My sister as determined as she is didn’t want to give up, so there was some discussion and they where commanded to stop by a motor boat.
My mom and I raced to the place where they got off the water to find my sister in tears.
Poor thing (I think) I know how she felt, she kept saying I failed (I thought I had failed when I crashed in the GS in March) , it was a good lesson for me to be on the outside. Because of course she didn’t fail, she didn’t quit she did all she could and she tried. I think my sister is amazing for trying as hard as she did, for training so determined to reach this goal, but isn’t it all about the journey? What you learn about yourself on the way?
Dear Barbara, I love you and admire you for what you did today (and the last 4 months in training)! No you didn’t finish but you gave a fight!
I have some sweet pictures of today not sure what to do with them because one picture is missing, my sisters boat.

Me and my mom 
(don't mind my hair it was totally messed up by the wind and wearing a hat all afternoon)
The guys from Delft know how to make a driving party
Just rent a pickup put a couch and speakers in the back and lots of beer
.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment