Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First clinical experience

Last Friday I had a birthday dinner of an old friend. We used to play field hockey together for several years. Our parents where friends so we sort of grew up together.
We had of lot of fun and even went partying down town in Arnhem, first time in a very long time for me, it was great. A memorable evening ;-)



Today I had my first clinical experience. A morning in the pediatric outpatient clinic.
So I played doctor…. Or actually I watched and learned a lot from the pro.

pretty serious ;-)

It was great to see what it will be like when I’m a real doctor.
I saw 5 very different patients, from a 10 week old premature baby, so cute! to a 12 year old. Some kids had serious problems and others were pretty much healthy.
A very positive thing was that the pediatrician I shadowed didn’t even notice my limp! A big compliment, I have been working hard on a more regular gait. I know I’m improving but the best thing is when strangers don’t notice.

I got cleared for skiing 2 weeks ago and I still haven’t skied… But if everything goes according to plan I will start next week! So excited.
The ankle is doing fine all though there still are some minor problems.
Swelling and joint stiffness, my ankle is still swollen almost all the time, doesn’t matter what I do. My ankle isn’t too happy with long walks, it gets irritated, but doesn’t hurt badly.
According to the doctor this is pretty normal and can bother me for a year. Oh the joys of an articular fracture.
So it doesn’t have to keep me from training, luckily. Because I’m still improving I made a new rehab video.





No comments:

Post a Comment