Saturday, March 16, 2013

January: back in training


January was a bit different because I didn’t had any races on my schedule. There were only world cup races in January for which I’m not qualified yet. It was a bit disappointing not to ski in January but it also gave an unique opportunity to get some extra dry land training in. Time to look back at the beginning of the season and to make a little training schedule to do even better in the second part of the season, stronger, better, faster. All in all my season has been ok thus far especially considering the circumstances; ‘On September 20 I had done gym training in the morning and I felt fine training went very well nothing to be worried about. I went to a couple of lectures in the afternoon and I started to ache a bit, sore muscles? When I got home I felt a bit tired and my back hurted.

Well long story short in 5 hours I went from normal to seriously ill. I was admitted to the hospital that night with a high fever and a very sore back. It turned out I had an acute urinary tract infection which has spread to my kidneys in just hours. I stayed in the hospital,l got antibiotics and started to feel better quick. Five days later I went to Austria with the team, well needless to say skiing didn’t go well, I pushed for it and I really shouldn’t have… I got some more antibiotics and then some more again because this was one stubborn infection, just like me honestly. Well I much needed rest and so I did I took the full 6 weeks of rest that was needed to get rid of the stupid bug. I missed out on all the other training weeks in Austria but I did start some light gym training with my physical therapist. It was a long road and still is I’m not fit yet but getting stronger and back on ski’s.’ This was the situation at the Landgraaf races, I did got fitter for the races in December but still was missing some basis. So with the opportunity to train for 6 weeks I could cover the basis better.


No comments:

Post a Comment