Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Landgraaf training and re-classification for IPCAS races


Sorry guys it has been way too long since my last update.

Since my last update I have done summer training and back to snow training in Landgraaf and in Austria. And I have been very busy with my studies and also I have been ill, much more then I realized at the time…

On September 20 I had done gym training in the morning and I felt fine training went very well nothing to be worried about. I went to a couple of lectures in the afternoon and I started to ache a bit, sore muscles? When I got home I felt a bit tired and my back hurted.
Well long story short in 5 hours I went from normal to seriously ill.
I was admitted to the hospital that night with a high fever and a very sore back.
It turned out I had an acute urinary tract infection which has spread to my kidneys in just hours. I stayed in the hospita,l got antibiotics and started to feel better quick.
Five days later I went to Austria with the team, well needless to say skiing didn’t go well, I pushed for it and I really shouldn’t have… I got some more antibiotics and the some more because this was one stubborn infection, just like me honestly.
Well I much needed rest and so I did I took the full 6 weeks of rest that was needed to get rid of the stupid bug.
I missed out on all the other training weeks in Austria but I did start some light gym training with my physical therapist. It was a long road and still is I’m not fit yet but getting stronger and back on ski’s.

Yesterday I arrived in Landgraaf, because it is that time of the year again, the season opening races in Landgraaf, the first IPCAS race of the season. I have trained today and things are getting better I feel good on my ski’s again, so ready to race? Maybe we will see.
There are a lot of athletes racing, 120 from 25 countries all over the world, from Korea to Rusland and Canada to Australia I even heard South Africa, and off course lots of European athletes.
New this year is that there are para-snowboard cross races as well, to race in the afternoon.
On another note I got re-classified today, as explained earlier classification is used to make this a fair race with athletes with all kinds of impairments. There are different groups (classes) with a similar impairment all those classes have a factor which is used to calculate the times. So we can race against each other.
I’m now in LW3 and I’m really happy about that this is a much more fair class for me.
Tomorrow we have another day of training and racing starts Thursday.
Some pictures J

 GS in Hintertux September-October 2012
With Tina Maze in Hintertux 
With a new helmet and goggles ready for the races ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment