Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chamonix; February 10th – 16th


I went to Chamonix for the open French national championships. We were there with a small team of 3 athletes, a trainer and a coach. The first two days we trained GS mostly, did one run of slalom free skiing. Since Abtenau I took a step in my GS, things are starting to click.






Kim Monsieu, me, Tim Kant (trainer), Thomas Mulder
The team missing Stephanie (coach for this trip)

After two days we had to move to the ‘hotel’ of the organization, which wasn’t a hotel but just a building with beds, dirty old blankets, food and NO towels….. just a club house, probably.
Good thing was that it was impossible to break anything. Other then the fact that we had no towels (I mean seriously how can I deal with that) this didn’t bother me too much, I slept ok and the food was ok (except for the fact that I could just eat from the salad bar for 2 days because I am allergic for an ingredient in these meals and there was nothing else).



this is my 'towel' wouldn't call it that didnt even work properly

On Monday we started with a night slalom and this wasn’t my race I DNFed and broke a new DNF record (for me) made it only to gate 5 in the first run. But to be honest I haven’t skied one single gate, my race was bad even before the start. I have been mad, I have cried about my DNF’s in slalom but I guess I am over that, I tried and there always is a next race….
Can’t do anything about it now except for trying to learn from my mistakes.
The positive of this was that it was extremely cold and I could stay inside and dressed for the second run, or is it bad to say, even think that?

 race slope

The other positive thing is, the pressure and the focus is completely on my slalom, which is my strongest event but isn’t working out so far this season. So I ski GS more freely and my GS is getting better it benefits from the fact that there is less stress about GS. Have to say the stress and pressure is mostly from myself, but hey I just want to get the best out of myself. But I try to learn and be more relax so I can ski like I do in training.
So we skied the first GS race on Tuesday, I got a 6th place and lowered my points pretty drastic, which is good. There is still a lot I could do better but I’m improving and growing in my season.



On Wednesday we skied another GS, my first run wasn’t good so with nothing to lose I gave it all in my second run and laid down a pretty good run, I was happy about this run and I skied better points again.



On Thursday we drove home again after a good trip. I’m home for about 10 days before I leave for Sestriere, the open Italian nationals. Racing the same slope for the second time this seasons feels like a good idea, I have raced it before and watched the video’s, learned about my mistakes, well we will see.
Link for the entire photo album http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/AnnikaMeer/Chamonix%20February%202012/
Credits to Stephanie Monsieu who made most of these pictures, big thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment