Friday, September 2, 2011

About fear to break another leg

This week I had another 2 day training camp in snowworld Landgraaf. I know I wrote last time that the snow conditions wheren’t great but this time it was worse, the snow conditions were actually pretty bad. There was still the dirty old ice but now with huge amounts of loose snow over it which off course didn’t stick, so it went from a hard slope into a very soft slope halfway.  Last time I broke my ski boot and since my new boots wheren’t in yet it got repaired, I was skiing on a unpredictable slope with a messed up boot. Saying it was because of the conditions isn’t my thing but in this case..... it made me feel unsafe which made me hold back. Yes the first training session I was skiing pretty bad, I was scared holding back and too late for every single gate. I was afraid to fall and brake another leg and my ankle was hurting because the messed up boot put too much pressure on the plate in my ankle. So things wheren’t going like they were supposed to, but it made me realize that it is in conditions like these where you can learn the most. Without a bad training every now and then you can’t have good training sessions. And as the coach told me it made me feel what I need to work on even better, because I still made the same mistakes as I normally do only worse, extreme.

We had another slalom session that night and it got better by then, I wasn’t scared to fall anymore. By the next day I sort of got over it and started to ski again, I was actually quite happy with my last 2 runs they felt good and fast. The coach made another video of this camp, my bad runs are on it as well, but like I said they are the best learning material.




September 14 and 15 we go back to Landgraaf and I start training with my ski club next Tuesday. Monday I get new ski boots! With big thanks to Menno Koelewijn from MK ski service I get foam boots which will fit me better with my ski-orthosis and probably get my skiing to the next level, so excited! I have my old boots since 2004, I know they are ancient.
The plate in my ankle was pretty irritated because of the boot, but the surgeon told me it would get better with new boots. I’m still gonna try to leave it in for the season and have the surgery in the beginning of april. I had my one year check up with the surgeon yesterday and except for the plate irritation things are looking good. And he told me he was impressed with all the thing I do and can do with my leg, most patients wouldn’t even try he said. Well that was nice to hear but I think; The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything but they make the most of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment