Friday, March 25, 2011

Season is over

It’s spring time so the season was coming to an end anyway, but I had still 2 races planned.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to race those last races, I will enjoy the spring sun instead, not that bad.



The reason I won’t be skiing is off course my legs.
My season was over the day I broke my ankle but with a lot of hard work and luck, I got a bonus. I trained hard in rehab with the goal to be able to race the last races of the season, so I still had a chance to get my point limit for the national team. My hard work in rehab paid off and 18 weeks after surgery I was back on ski’s. I got my new skiing-orthosis and got used to it, so 4 weeks later I was in Austria skiing better than before I broke my ankle.
I hadn’t had a chance to train giant slalom, so racing probably wasn’t that smart but I did it anyway. Because I felt the pressure to proof myself and get the points I desperately wanted.
Well I crashed and hurt myself which mostly happened because of lack of GS training.

So how is my left leg doing now? Well not that bad but not good enough to ski at this moment. It’s time to make the smarter decisions see it as it is, a lost season and start training for next season, so I will start out strong.
There is no injury found in my left leg but it's still swollen. It was swollen pretty bad before and that compressed my nerve, so the foot lifter muscles in my leg are weak at the moment, and I have kind of a drop foot while walking. This probably will be all right once the swelling is gone. I’m doing everything I can to make the swelling go down in both legs, the right leg still is slightly swollen but that’s normal 6 months after surgery.

taking care of my legs
my freezer filled with cold packs

Other then the fact that I have a bit of a drop foot and that it’s swollen my leg doesn’t bother me at all. It doesn’t hurt and I can do pretty much everything with it. Last weekend I started thinking that I probably would be able to ski, well I was wrong. I tried on Tuesday did one run but had no control. My physio wasn’t too happy with this at first, but then she said well now you know for sure you can’t ski at this moment. And that’s true, that made it easier to let go of my hopes and dreams for this season. So season is over and rehab is on! And I got pretty good at rehab so I will come back stronger once again. I’m already doing a lot of training in the gym so everything is going in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about all the problems you have had and I hope and pray that you come back much stronger in the new season. I can really sympathise with you, I broke my ankle 6 weeks ago in 2 places and am still on crutches. Just graduated to an aircast boot and started physio today. I wish you all the best. Regards Brenda

    ReplyDelete